Summary and Objectives
- Explain key concepts like periods of prenatal developments (using terms like germ disk, blastocyst, vernix, and placenta), stages of birth, and newborn reflexes (like the babinski, palmer, and sucking).
- Discuss the methods of testing the health of the newborn (CVS, APGAR, Ultrasound).
- Apply your knowledge and think about Why this matters? by considering the real dangers of fetal alcohol syndrome and teratogens.
- Murkoff, H. & Mazel, S. (2008). What to expect when you are expecting.
- Story of the Fetus Song (also as mp3)
- The Visible Embryo Project
- The Multi-Dimensional Human Embryo
- Explanation of embryonic differentiation
- Fetal pictures
- Interesting discussion of When does baby’s life begin?
- The big list of Teratogens
- National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- The CDC’s Info page on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- The Dangers of PCB’s:Polychlorinated biphenyls (used in paint and electric transformers).
- Vegan? Get your B12 for baby!
- Postpartum Depression
- Freud on Seuss’s Cat in the Hat . (Apparently babies remembered and were traumatized)
- Old fashioned ways of detecting pregnancy. Crazy thing is… Some work!
- The Moro Reflex
- More Reflexes
- SIDS and more SIDS on the Web (also SIDS International).
- Biggest and best national study of children is still being planned.
- Causes of Scoliosis
- Do Parasites control us?