Summary and Objectives
- Explain key concepts like secular growth trends, effects of various hormones, and how nutrition contributes to healthy growth.
- Apply your knowledge to think about “Why this matters?” and consider the nature of childhood obesity.
- Wansink, B. (2006). Mindless Eating: Why we eat more than we think.
- The Baby Place: Info for parents
- Zero to Three: The place for info on early child development
- Feeding your newborn
- How breast feeding prevents illness.
- Breastmilk and HIV
- Where estrogen comes from.
- Women and testosterone.
- Why do women outlive men? (Hint: it might be testosterone).
- Overweight Kids.
- Sue McDonald’s
- McDonald’s and Nutrition
- TV and Fast Food makes kids fat!
- Dieting makes kids fat!
- The Sugar Debate
- The National Weight Control Registry
- Kids and Food
- US Government Nutrition Site
- National Osteoporosis Foundation
- More trouble in paradise: Malnutrition in Barbados.
- Getting Kids to Shape Up.
- Child Saftey network
- Baby-proof your home.
- Worst ways to get baby to sleep
- And of course, 12 scary sleep disorders