Summary and Objectives
- Explain key concepts such as neural tube, axon, synapse, dendrite, terminal buttons, temporal lobe, parietal lobe, and occipital lobe,
- Discuss neural development from embryo to adolescence and describe the implications of neural pruning.
- Apply what you’ve learned to think about “Why this matters?” by looking at the effects of damage at different ages.
- Parts of the Neuron Song (also as mp3)
- Diagram of the Nervous System
- More on Nerves
- Neural Development
- All about the brain and spinal cord
- Cranial Nerves
- Split Brain Patients
- Phineas Gage Information
- Quick Picture of Phineas (from Ripley’s Wax Mueseum)
- More information on Brain Damage
- Incredible story about a man with almost no brain.
- Great book summarizing Brain Rules for Adults and Babies.
- Potential link between synaptic pruning and schizophrenia.